Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Microsoft introduces Graphics and Performance modes for Xbox One X Backward Compatibility

Microsoft has been pretty steady adding Xbox 360 games to the Xbox One compatibility list, and recently with Xbox One X they've started adding them with 4K support. A few days ago they added four games, Fable Anniversary, Crackdown, Forza Horizon, and The Witcher 2 to its list of Xbox One X enhanced games. These games will run in a 4K resolution, at 9x the original resolution, but there is now an additional option which is Performance mode. In performance mode the game will ditch the 4K resolution, which could help the games ability to run at a higher frame rate, if unlocked, or provide a more stable framerate if capped. In order to toggle the setting, you need to open the Xbox 360 guide by pressing both the view and menu buttons on your Xbox One controller, then go to Settings.

I've recorded footage of three of the games, in both modes, but I do not own a copy of Fable Anniversary, so I'm sorry to say that game is excluded. After playing the three, in both modes, I have to say that all three games seemed to benefit more from the graphics mode than with the performance mode. They all seemed to run equally as well in both modes, but the higher resolution removed aliasing issues such as shimmering which was more noticeable than any improvements to the frame rate. With these games at least I recommend running in the default Graphics mode.


I'd like to add that I really appreciate what Microsoft has been doing on the backward compatibility front. Giving games access to games their fanbase already owns, at no extra cost, while improving their appearance is wonderful. I know that I've gone back and played quite a few of my favorite titles thanks to the backward compatibility and some even in 4K!




No comments: